Based in our office in Milton Park, Oxfordshire
We are seeking a Java Developer to join our growing team delivering Java based Software as a Service solution. Overall, we are looking for a candidate who is a self-motivated developer, with an interest in emerging technologies and the willingness to drive our product forward. We are seeking someone who is passionate about delivering high quality software, as well as working with the rest of the development team to ensure design goals and business objectives are achieved
Reporting to the Development Team Manager and working closely with our Development and Helpdesk teams, the successful candidate will be passionate about delivering world-class software to our international clients, contributing to and enhancing our Agile, test-driven development processes.
The successful candidate will learn our service offerings, developing a deep knowledge of our applications, and proactively deliver high quality improvements to get the best from our products and services. The successful candidate will have experience working with full-stack technology, as well as experience of delivering web-based services and applications.
While the role will primarily focus on development of Commerce Decisions' software offering, we are a relatively small team, and it’s everyone’s job to make the office and the wider business work effectively. The successful candidate will be someone who will step-up to help the team and the business, while pro-actively delivering business goals with the highest level of quality and professionalism, and adopting a flexible, hands on attitude.
- Develop Commerce Decisions (CDL) software, working with the rest of the development team to follow our best practice approach for developer testing, developing/improving unit tests, applying peer review processes, and delivering software of the highest quality that meets design goals
- Work with the Lead Architect to ensure that the CDL Development Process is applied and proactively assist in refining and improving this as our software and technology changes over time
- Advise the Lead Architect on advancements in technology that may need to be incorporated into our software
- Maintain a deep understanding of our software and how it is used by customers to ensure our work is constantly geared towards supporting and improving our capability
- Contribute to design meetings and reviews in both a technical and use-case driven capacity
- Support the Quality Assurance function in the way the software is built, in particular ensuring that automated testing is supported
- Ensure software operates to relevant Accessibility standards
- Provide efficient and effective support to the Help Desk and Operations Manager in order to resolve customer issues
- Provide software expertise to the Sales and Consulting teams
- Under the direction of the Lead Architect/Development Team Manager, solve critical customer issues via technical support including the development of stable software patches on product systems.
Required skills and characteristics
- Expertise in Enterprise Java with experience with Java 9+ being beneficial
- Good knowledge of object-orientation, patterns and software design
- Commercial RDBMS and SQL experience ideally with MySQL
- Web-based development and associated standards, including an eye for creating a clean UX, cross-browser development, and experience in meeting accessibility standards
- Experience using Ant, JUnit, and Tomcat or equivalent technologies, in a continuous integration context
- Prior experience of agile methodology.
- A proactive approach to ensuring tasks assigned are completed to a high standard
- High levels of professionalism and communication skills and the willingness to provide efficient and effective support when dealing with other employees
- A desire to learn and grow both in terms of IT and product knowledge, and in terms of emerging technologies and methodologies
- Close collaboration across our business to build and maintain bridges with our sales and services operations
A competitive salary, private health insurance, 25 days leave per annum and participation in a company bonus plan are offered. The company offers an excellent benefits package, including access to the full range of benefits provided by our parent company, QinetiQ Ltd. Whilst all staff are expected to focus on providing the highest levels of professionalism and adopt a flexible, can-do attitude, we also have a culture of having fun and place importance on work-life balance.